Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Recapturing Beauty week 2

Sorry loves, week two is late; I had to relinquish my computer to the apple gods to have the "optical drive" fixed, do you guys know what that is? It's the disc drive, but it's really called an optical drive, who knew?


acting


So, week two's prompt was pretty lds centric, around the patriarchal blessing, if you don't know what that is, check out the link. But basically it is a really, really, really awesome reminder that God loves you for you, he created you to be the way you are, and wants you to know that you have been given special gifts that are meant for you to expound upon and accomplish.

I reread mine, as it states in the prompt, and got to the part were it talks about talents (I will share only a little about my patriarchal blessing, because we hold them so sacred, that we don't really share much with anyone but family), mine mentions my singing, and other talents, that I should continue to develop and use to encourage and uplift the youth. What a what!?! You see I received this blessing while at BYU (for those who don't know, I was baptized at 19), after I had decided to major in acting, instead of following something vocal. My choir teacher had gotten my interested in BYU by having me audition for the vocal program there. Guess what, I didn't really pay much attention to that whole part of the blessing yet, I was more interested in the how to find me a man part (just kidding). For some reason singing makes me more uncomfortable than acting, putting myself out there is still very hard for me. Standing up and saying "I am good at this, really truly good!" is not often easy, but it should be, shouldn't it? To offer that which we have been give, to use to bless other's lives; whether it be the gift to heal, or guide, to make laugh, to teach, or to entertain. Hone your talents the way you've honed the ability to mask you imperfections with makeup,clothes and other false edifice, and your talents will make your flaws your strengths. Because hard work, dedication, belief in yourself, and faith will take you beyond that which holds you back now.

 Fast forward five years, and here we are...I thought about it, am I doing much to develop my talents, honestly not really. Lameo, I know; but, I do keep it always at the back of my mind. And this week I sat down a few times at my keyboard and made up a few ditties, songs that I can work on that help my exercise the demons, and develop the beauty that I love in music. I also sing made up songs to my children all the time, with some top 100's to keep it real fresh in here, so I'm always singing. I keep telling myself that whatever it is that I am trying that is new in my life, I'm still a baby bird at it, that I am still stretching my wings. And so what, I been singing since birth? Well, I haven't been singing in Canada, where I'm cooped up in the house with two non talking miscreants. So you see, even the things that are old to us, can become new again. I believe that if I put my faith in Him, and develop my talents, like he has asked, the Lord will lead me to the opportunities that will help me to become the best me, the most beautiful me. Which has nothing to do with what I look like...unless I want to be on American Idol, and then it most definitely does.



throw back to the choir days, we rocked the cazbah.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment